- Madeira Regional Government
- Funchal Beltway (Level 200) - Autonomous Region of Madeira
- Design date
- 1991 - 1991
- Construction date
- 1996 - 1996
- Design by
- António Reis. Daniel de Sousa is the co-author of the Structural and Foundations Design (developed at GRID Lda.)
- Base Design and Final Design; Technical Assistance during construction.
- Construtora do Tâmega, S.A.
Prestressed Concrete Box Girder Bridge. At the date of the conclusion it was the highest bridge in Portugal. Construction by Balanced Cantilever Method (max. 62.5m).
Embedded in a narrow valley between two tunnels outside of Funchal, the structure was extremely conditioned by bad implementation for the pillars (with complex and poor foundation conditions) and abutment (founded on a very steep slope and with limited space for compatibility with the entrance of the adjacent tunnels).
Superiorly designed by Prof. António Reis, the work received the Secil Prize for Civil Engineering in 1997, chosen from a list of 6 candidate projects.
Length / Span / Height / Width:
280m / 125m / 110m / 19 and 22m